5.12.2011

Quinoa and Black Beans

One of our new dinner favorites. The kids even love it as long as I leave out the cilantro. They are a little crazy about feta--as am I. I love that this meal is vegetarian, lowfat and full of protein and veggies. We ate it on a hot day with just a side of fresh, chopped veggies and it filled us all up perfectly

I can't remember where I found the original recipe, but I changed a lot of things--so I'll call it mine. :) Next time I am going to double it to have extra leftovers. They make a delicious, healthy, quick lunch. Enjoy!
Quinoa & Black Beans

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 zucchini, diced
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
feta cheese
handful chopped fresh cilantro, optional

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.

Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.

Stir frozen corn and zucchini into the saucepan and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans. Top with feta and cilantro.

No comments: