7.06.2012

Vegetarian Chickpea Stew

I am back on the recipe train--hopefully. Finding time to cook, get food on the table to hungry munchkins and take a picture is a little tough these days. The original recipe called for dried chickpeas, but I keep tons of cans in storage so I just used that. Also I used chicken broth that I had on hand--but I realize that makes it technically non-vegetarian. I changed the original recipe a little by adding more vegetables and using less oregano. My version is below.

This recipe was a hit! Everyone loved it and scarfed it down. I am always pleased when I find a filling, healthy vegetarian dish.

Vegetarian Chickpea Stew
(adapted from Family Circle)

1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
1 15-oz can chickpeas (no salt added & rinse well)
2 small zucchini, sliced and quartered
1/4 head cauliflower, very roughly chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1/2-3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Cooked brown rice or cooked quinoa
crumbled feta (optional)
avocado (optional)

Saute onion and dried oregano in a small amount of olive oil. When onions are soft, stir in tomatoes, chickpeas, zucchini, cauliflower, carrots and enough broth to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low-medium for about 20 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in salt and pepper just before serving. Serve over brown rice, quinoa or other grain. If desired, top with feta and/or avocado.

*Update: One day I went to make this and the feta was moldy. So I improvised and added some sharp cheddar and a dollop of sour cream. Mmmmmm. Comfort food at its finest!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That sounds amazing! I love your recipes! I can't wait to try this one out.

Jason and Heather said...

I am eating this again for lunch and I am obsessed! YUM!