12.11.2008

Christmas Traditions: Candy-Making Part 1

I have very fond memories as a child making Christmas candy with my mother. In the last few years I have revived this tradition in our own home. I love devouring cookbooks and picking out the candies for that year. 

Although not technically a candy, this year's candy-making begins with:

Luscious Fudge
(Lion House Christmas)
1 12-ounce milk chocolate bar, broken into pieces
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
4 1/2 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups chopped walnuts (I leave these out)

Butter a 9x13-inch pan. Combine both chocolates and marshmallow creme in a large mixing bowl; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for six minutes. Pour over chocolate mixture. Beat vigorously with wooden spoon until creamy. Add vanilla and walnuts. Mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand two hours, then cut into small squares. Makes 5 pounds candy.

4 comments:

Mandi said...

Ok, I am officially craving fudge...

Anonymous said...

must be a gogarty thing.... I have that same memory with my mom growing up! Hope to see you guys over christmas break!

Veda said...

It looks very yummy! I wish I had the energy to make fudge. I am way to lazy!

Arianne Pearce said...

You do such a nice job on your blog. It's so great to note all the things that are happening with your family and I love it! Your photography is especially wonderful! How did you get your wedding picture on there? I remember that being on film! Maybe scanned it? Anyway, your family is SO cute and thanks for all the thoughts and recipes that you put up!