5.12.2013

Mexico!

Jared & I had an incredible getaway just the two of us to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It was absolutely perfect. I missed the kids SO much but definitely took advantage of no responsibilities. We stayed at an adults-only, all-inclusive just north of Tulum. It was genius to go to an adults-only if I must say so myself. Perfectly quiet and relaxing.

We were tucked in the jungle just up against the gorgeous white sand beaches. This is the view from our balcony. I took many naps in the hammock on the balcony.
I also sat in my robe a lot eating and drinking Mexican goodies. Such gluttony.
This was our beach on a windy evening--normally the water was totally calm. Perfect swimming ocean.
 Lots and lots of reading
 Lunch next to the pool
 We took too many pictures of the wildlife for the kids--which they loved. We saw a lot of animals which I cannot remember the names.
We went swimming, snorkeling and sea kayaking off our beach
I obviously don't know how to use non-digital cameras. I kept putting my finger in front of the lens. Oops.
We spent one day at an adventure park--Xplor doing zip-lining, driving a jeep through rivers and caves and paddling rafts & swimming in underground rivers. The swimming was cold but by far my favorite. It was eerily awesome! There were bats flying in there with us and little fish swimming around. We came out of the cave in a big waterfall. AWESOME!
Before starting our day
We went into Playa del Carmen for an afternoon & evening to pick up some souvenirs for the kids. The sandcastles built on the beach were incredible. And we got ripped off on our fuel--sometimes I hate being the tourist.

When Jared got fried, we decided to take a day off the beach/pool and visit the ruins at Coba. It is fascinating and you walk or bike a few miles to see the various ruins. Of course my sandal broke at the farthest point and I had to walk barefoot on hot, painful rocks back until we could get a bike taxi. :)
 This was SO STEEP!!

Another day we went to Akumal Bay to snorkel with the sea turtles. They were really cute, but I am spoiled from growing up snorkeling in the red sea. Everything else is kind of pathetic. There were some pretty fish, but everything is just so bland. We went really far out to the reef and pretty much swam the whole bay looking for something more exciting... I did like swimming with the cute tortugas though!

1 comment:

Arianne Pearce said...

Wahoo! Looks like tons of fun! So glad you guys were able to get away :-)