1.13.2009

Tester Recipe - Silky Lentil Soup

I had some lentils needing to be used up and found a recipe I hadn't tried yet from Weight Watchers. It is packed full of whole grains and veggies and is very filling. It turned out so yummy plus Jared loved it too!

My changes: I added a couple teaspoons of white vinegar, 1-2 teaspoons chicken bouillon, 1/4 teaspoon more of cumin, a dash of allspice and some pepper. The only thing I would change next time is to add a few more carrots. I might experiment with some other veggies as well. I think red peppers or zucchini would taste fabulous! I might also leave out the evaporated milk. It tasted wonderful before adding the milk. It just makes it a bit more creamy. but also adds more calories.

I have no pictures this time because it just wasn't very pretty. :)

Silky Lentil Soup

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 cups water
1 cup lentils
1/3 cup brown rice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
27 1/2 ounce + 1 cup canned low-fat chicken broth
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk

Coat large pot with cooking spray; add oil. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add carrots, onion, and green pepper; saute until tender (5 minutes). 

Add remaining ingredients, except for milk; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until lentils & rice are tender (45 minutes)

Put lentil mixture into food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. (You can break this up by doing half first and then the other half second) Return blended lentil mixture to pot; stir in milk. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.

If you are counting points, the value is 5 points per 1 cup serving.

No comments: