12.23.2014

Christmas Season Traditions

I love, love, love the Christmas season and I always overdo. And I always burn out and barely make it to the end. But it is so much fun!

We went to the Littleton Tree Lighting which is really fun. Santa comes down the main street and lights the trees and lamps as he goes and then he lights the giant Christmas tree at the end of the block. It is fairly quick and easy with kids which is always a good thing.

We brought back our traditional Christmas tree-cutting adventure in the forest. It was definitely an adventure. We wandered for hours and this was the best tree we could find. I couldn't get it out of the house fast enough after Christmas. But I also loved having our own little Charlie Brown Christmas tree that had a story behind it. I did have tree envy for those luscious, thick green trees. And my neighbor totally laughed at it when she saw it. Oh well. Great memories. :)

I love Christmas baking and sugar cookies are a lot of fun with the kids--and delicious. Cole spent most the time secretly (and not-so-secretly) eating balls of dough.

The kids (except Grey) got to sit on Santa's lap at a birthday party. So perfect since we had no time or days left to go see him anywhere else. Cole was scared, nervous and really excited. I was surprised he sat on his lap. Elise believes in Santa with all of her heart even though we don't really focus on him at all. And even though Grey keeps telling her he isn't real. She wants to believe. It is really sweet. 

We made Sugar Cube Houses this year instead of gingerbread. I thought it would be fun to try something new. They loved getting creative with the sugar cubes and then eating the decorative candy as well.

The traditional matching church clothes. It is my favorite. I only do it once--sometimes twice a year. I am going to keep doing it until they beg me to stop. ;)
 We had our annual Christmas caroling party with Jared's parents. Our group is getting gigantic. This is one of my favorite things all season. I love singing the Christmas songs and eating all of the yummy soups.
 We started a new tradition this year--Cookies for Cops. There have been a lot of bad things going on with police officers and I found a tiny way to say thank you. I took the lead for the Littleton Police Dept and collected cookies and treats for every officer and staff to have 2-3 each. It was an insane amount and I was so happy to do something for them.

I think I wore the kids out too...




No comments: